Friday, July 22, 2011

Vegan Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

A couple days ago I found myself with some leftover silken tofu (from the cauliflower mac and "cheese") and a crazy chocolate craving. My first thought was to turn my predicament into cooookies, (the quickest baking chocolate vessels!) but I'd never made some with tofu before. I thought it might work well in place of the oil so I gave it a shot. First time for everything, right?

Since I was in cookies pronto (!!!) mode I wasn't thinking fancy, just soft, comforting chocolaty goodness and that's exactly what I got. I had intended to bring these into the office but Austin and I made them disappear embarrassingly quickly (ok  ok, I might have had a few more than he did). Such is life. I ate my share dunked in almond milk but I think they'd be even more delicious with some ice cream sandwiched in between them.


Vegan Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
Makes about 20 cookies (more if you don't snack on the batter)
  • 2/3 cup rolled oats 
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup silken tofu
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 3 tablespoons cranberry juice (orange juice would work well too)
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract 
1.  Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease or line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Add the rolled oats to the food processor and pulse until they're pulverized. Transfer them to a large mixing bowl. Sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt into the bowl with the oats.

2.  Add the tofu, sugar, maple syrup, cranberry juice and vanilla extract to the food processor and whiz until smooth. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ones and mix until just combined. Using a pair of spoons, place a walnut sized ball of dough onto the baking sheet and flatten it slightly. Repeat for the rest of the cookies. Bake for 10 minutes if you'd like soft cookies, 12-14 minutes (making sure the cookies don't burn) if you'd like crunchier ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment